The washing machine stopped before completing the cycle and suddenly turned on the water supply. What’s the matter? In increased foaming. Due to an abundant amount of foam, the display shows error code 5d in the Whirlpool Cabrio washer, as well as an alarm about an excessive accumulation of soap solution in the drum.
Error 5d: description
It should be noted right away: the error code 5d is interpreted incorrectly. This is the Sd code. Users confuse the number 5 and the letter S because of their similarity on the electronic display. Some models display a Sud code, mistaken for a 5ud error code.
These signals indicate that the device cannot drain water with excess foam. Therefore, the washer stops rotating the drum and automatically lengthens the rinsing time to remove the excess soap cap. Moreover, it alternately changes the foam suppression modes:
- active (the water being poured breaks the bubbles, and the foam disappears);
- passive (the equipment waits for the soap solution to settle).
This process continues until the foam finally shrinks. If all is unsuccessful, it stops working, and error 5d and Complete Cycle light up on display. For washing devices without a display, the temperature indicators start to glow, or the mode lamps blink.
What can you do yourself?
- Wait 5-15 minutes for the washer to cope with the problem by eliminating the increased foaming. After that, it will automatically start and continue the program.
- Reset error code 5d because, in certain cases, it occurs due to a failure. To solve the problem correctly, you need to press two times on PAUSE / CANCEL or 1 – on POWER, and then start washing.
- Stop the washer and take out items that are too bulky, soft, or fluffy. After that, continue the started cycle. The 5d error should go away because the sensor was reacting to swollen woolens.
- Press POWER, drain the water, open the drum, take out the laundry, put a special cleaning tablet on the bottom, close the door and hold down the PAUSE / CANCEL button for 3 seconds. After that, the equipment will enter the cleaning mode and do everything on its own.
If error code 5d occurs without foam accumulation, this indicates a breakdown of one of the components. In this case, the cardinal intervention will be required.
How to fix the error
There are several factors on which the 5d error depends. It can be connected to powder, filter, foam sensor, pressure switch, and control module. If the detergent problem is solved easily (it is enough to replace it), then in other cases, you will have to work hard.
Clogged drain system
The main symptom of this is not only error code 5d. With such a problem, the Whirlpool Cabrio washing machine removes water very slowly or does not remove it at all (even without detergent). The solution is to clean the filter, hose, pipe, and sewer entrance. But before proceeding, unplug the power cord from the power outlet. Check each element one at a time for blockages and deposits: rinse/blow and clean. The replacement filter costs $ 6.5 – $ 34 depending on the model, the hose – $5 – $38, based on the length and equipment.
The damaged water pressure controller
If the washing machine refuses to work immediately after turning on the selected mode, this is a sign of problems with the pressure switch. Sometimes the equipment may stop in the middle of a cycle – the way out is testing with a multimeter to identify the malfunction and eliminate it. As a last resort – reset the pressure switch. To get to it, interrupt the wash, remove the laundry and unplug the equipment. A new node costs an average of $ 25.
Even if the washing machine has managed to reduce the foam in the drum, there are times that it gets into the pressure sensor tube. In this case, you will need to wait longer for the technique to work again.
Defective control board
If none of the above helps and error 5d flashes on the screen, check the central unit. Inspect the pins and tracks with a multimeter. Solder suspicious places, strengthen connections. Are there any burned or melted spots on the PCB? Replace the item: its average price is $ 160.
Summarizing the above, we will briefly note what needs to be done in order not to see the foamy clouds in the Whirlpool Cabrio washing machine:
- You do not need to use the hand wash powder if you are going to wash things in a machine.
- Try to use high-quality powder; if in doubt, check it before washing by pouring a teaspoon of the agent into the washing machine’s dish and run the program with several rags in the drum.
- Do not pour too much powder into the machine. Experts recommend even to reduce the dose of detergent slightly, well, do not exceed it in any way – be economical.
- If you wash things in soft water, use half the manufacturer’s amount of powder recommended.
- Do you wash bulky items? Pour in 1/3 of the powder rate, and then the washing will take place without excesses.
Video: How to remove foam in a washing machine