The terrible knocking and rumbling during the spin cycle indicate it is time to replace the shock absorbers on the Bosch washing machine. If you can afford it, you’d better invite a qualified repairman. His work will be quick and efficient. If you want to save a little money, you should consider the guide first, and only then take up the repair work. It will enable you to avoid the problems that may occur in the course of the work. So, let’s start preparing for the repair work.
Get at hand everything you need
The amateur repair of the Bosch washing machine requires time. The replacement of shock absorbers is quite a complex repair, so you need to carry out a thorough preparation. And we shall do it now.
We need some parts along with a simple set of tools. First, get new shock absorbers. Do not buy cheap Chinese equivalents. You’d better get original Bosch shock absorbers. By the way, now you can order them online in the Bosch internet store. Second, you need the 13 mm screws, nuts and washers (2 pieces each).
How to get to the parts
Now let’s prepare the actual washing machine for the repair work. Disconnect the machine from the mains. Turn off the water. Disconnect the water inlet hose from the water supply. Disconnect the drain hose from the siphon. Wind the hoses and fix them on the back panel of the housing of the washer, so that they do not interfere with your work. Now you have to move the washing machine to a convenient place, and you can start your DIY disassembling work.
- First, you need to remove the top cover of the Bosch washing machine.
- Pull out the detergent drawer from its place.
- Find a screw on the side of the control panel and remove it. Also remove the screws located behind the detergent drawer.
- Gently put the panel aside, try not to tear off the wiring.
- Place the washer on the back panel and remove the screws located on the bottom panel near the front legs.
- Open the door of the hatch. Use a screwdriver to pry off the clamp holding the gasket, loosen and remove it. Put the gasket of the hatch inside the drum, so that it does not interfere with you.
- Remove the front panel of the washing machine. Be careful, there are the wires from the lock assembly, they need to be carefully removed.
After removing the front panel of the washing machine, we get to the shock absorbers. Do you need to disassemble the Bosch washer completely (including the tub) to remove the shock absorbers? Pedantic German repairmen’s answer is yes. In this case, it will be a little easier to replace the shock absorbers, but you will add twice as much work to yourself. We will try to avoid further disassembly of the washing machine.
How to replace the part
First, you need to swing each of the shock absorbers and make sure that at least one of them is faulty. Remove the bottom screws connecting the shock absorbers to the housing of the washer. At this stage, everything is simple. From above the shock absorbers are fixed directly to the tub with special plastic fasteners. You cannot disconnect them easily, so we will use a 13 mm drill. Insert the drill bit into the screwdriver and remove the mounts. Disconnect the old shock absorbers and throw them away.
Install new shock absorbers and fasten them with bolts to the housing. Fasten them to the tub on the other side. Let’s swing the tub and check the work of the new shock absorbers. Reassemble the Bosch washing machine in the reverse order and install it in place. The DIY repair work can be seen as successfully completed.
If you still have any questions, watch the video tutorial, good luck!