Before the screen displays the error, the washing machine works in an uncommon way: the wash cycle has started, but the washer won’t fill at all. Or you can hear buzzing, but very little water is entering the machine. It is not enough to run the entire cycle.
Why your LG washing machine displays the IE error code
When an error occurs in the LG washing machines without a display, the indicators “Wash” — “Pre-wash” blink or light.
Please note! Some users of LG washing machines take the IE code for the 1E code.
The IE error means that your washing machine fills slowly (the error occurs after 4 minutes) or the washer won’t fill at all.
The probable causes of the problem
The washer displays the IE code, when:
- The fill valve is broken. You don’t get any water if the valve doesn’t open on time. The same is also the case if the valve opens slightly – not enough for the machine to work properly.
- The pressure switch is broken. In this case, you will hear the water being pumped in, but the system will still show the IE error code.
- The electronic controller malfunctions. If the control board fails, all the parts cannot function without it.
How to fix it
First of all restart the system: unplug the washing machine and don’t use it for 15-20 minutes. If the controller fails, the error will disappear. If not, you will see the code again.
What you can do:
- Check the water supply system in the house and in the washer. Open the stop valve completely.
- Remove the fill hose and check, if it is not clogged. Run some water through the hose to clean it. Sometimes the hose is bent, so the washer doesn’t fill or fills slowly.
- The streamline filter may be clogged. It is located on the junction between the washing machine and the fill hose. Remove the filter and clean it.
If it does not help, take the following actions:
- Check the fill valve. Unscrew the top panel of the washing machine, so that you can see the valve.
- Take a multimeter and measure the resistance, which is supposed to be 2-4 kiloohms. If the reading indicates the failure, the coil must be replaced.
However, it happens that the reading is fine, but the valve still malfunctions. Then it must be replaced. How to do it:
- Unplug the LG washing machine, turn off the water.
- Remove the top panel, if you haven’t done it yet.
- Disconnect the wires from the coil.
- Remove the clips and disconnect the hoses.
- Unscrew the fasteners securing the valve, remove it.
- Install a new piece in the reverse order.
If that’s not the case, check the pressure switch and clean the pipe from clogging. The pressure switch, as well as the electronic module, can be checked with a multimeter. While examining the module, you may notice some damaged contacts which require cleaning.
If one of the elements malfunctions, it must be replaced.