If you have noticed a SUD code during a washing cycle, it means the suds have exceeded the drum’s usual level. More specifically, this error means that the washing machine is reducing foaming. It has just stopped for 5-10 minutes to allow the suds to dissipate and the washing cycle to go on.
What does the SUD error mean
Samsung washers have a foaming control feature. If the suds are excessive, the machine switches to the mode reducing them. The SUD error indicates the washer cannot reduce the suds, so it needs some time for the foam to dissipate naturally. It can last for quite a long time and depends on the concentration of the washing powder in the water.
All three codes – 5D, SUD, SD – are virtually the same. The SUD error is displayed in some Samsung washing machines. The other Samsung washers have different codes for the same error. The 5d and Sd error codes are equivalent to the SUD one because the number 5 and the letter s are difficult to make out on a small display.
If you are confident it’s not about the powder, the washing machine is faulty. Namely:
- the foam level sensor has failed;
- the pressure switch is broken;
- the elements of the drain system (hose, branch pipe, sewer) are partially clogged;
- the control board has failed – an extremely rare case.
The reason for the SUD error code
If the display shows the SUD error, you need to determine the cause of the problem first. The error appears if:
- You have used a washing powder not intended for automatic washing machines;
- You have used some powder of poor quality;
- You have exceeded the required portion of the detergent for one washing cycle;
- The foam level sensor has failed;
- The pressure switch has been broken;
- The release hose, branch pipe, or sewer are clogged;
- The control board has experienced a serious failure (but this reason is very rare).
First of all, consider your washing powder. You can solve the problem by changing it.
How to fix the error
If your Samsung washing machine displays the SUD code and the suds are abundant in the drum, take such action:
- Wait for a little for the suds to dissipate. The cycle will automatically continue afterward. Press the start button if it is necessary for your Samsung washer;
- Clean the drain filter upon completing the wash cycle;
- Remove excess powder by running the washing machine without clothes and setting a long wash cycle and high temperature;
- Change the detergent if you notice a lot of suds.
If the code is there, but no suds are in the drum:
- Turn off the machine;
- Get the clothes out; do not try to open the locked door, but drain the water through the emergency drain;
- Clean the drain filter;
- Start the machine with the previously chosen cycle to check it.
Thoroughly clean the drain and the drum from the powder residue.
If you get the SUD code during the cycle again, the foam level sensor is likely to malfunction. Foam sensor, not available in all models of Samsung washing machines. Often the water level sensor, often called the pressure switch, carries out this function instead. The foam level sensor is beyond repair; it requires replacement.
You can replace this part quite easily:
- turn off the water and unplug the washer;
- remove the top lid;
- find the water level sensor in the top corner of the machine;
- remove the air duct;
- disconnect the wires;
- install a new part;
- reinstall the elements in the reverse order.
In some cases, the system can show the SUD code if the suds are not gone due to some partial obstruction in the hose or the branch pipe. You need to clean these parts. Disconnect the drain hose from the machine and clean it using a wire, for example. To clean the branch pipe, take it out of the washer. You can access it through the bottom of the machine:
- put the washer on its side;
- remove the bottom carefully if there is any;
- loosen the pipe clamps attaching the branch pipe to the tub and the pump;
- wash the element and reinstall it.
When do I call a repairer?
You need a professional hand if:
- You are still getting the SUD error code while there are no suds in the drum. The cause may be the malfunction of the foam level sensor. Then replace the sensor.
- The SUD error is displayed after starting the Samsung washing machine or during the cycle, which stops after the code has appeared. The water level sensor is out of order. Replace it.
- The washer is draining the water for a long time without detergent; the error appears if you add the powder. The reason is debris clogging the branch pipe of the drain hose or sewer. To get rid of the error, it is necessary to clean them.
- The SUD error appears when you start the washing machine or during the wash or rinse cycles. Sometimes it indicates a malfunction of the control unit. Most often, it results in unit replacement.
After the suds have dissipated, you can try to get rid of the code again. Just reset the Samsung washing machine by clicking the “Start” button.
If all the suggested measures haven’t helped to fix your washing machine, contact the repairman.
VIDEO: How to clean the pump of a Samsung washing machine and get rid of the SUD error
What do you do when your washing machine says Sud?
A SUD error indicates that a foaming sensor has triggered. Your Samsung washing machine has a lot of foam. The system is stopped for a while, that the foam dissipated. Reasons: A lot of washing liquid for this wash; Incorrectly selected washing liquid; Damage to one of the elements of the washing machine.
What is 5ud error in Samsung washing machine?
5UD errors are not in the list of codes for Samsung washing machines. Most likely this is the letter “S” and the code sounds like SUD. A lot of foam has formed in your washing machine. The foaming sensor stopped washing things until the foam dispersed.
Why does my Samsung Washer say Sud?
Most likely, you have added significantly more than the required amount of washing liquid. Because of this, a lot of foam formed and the system stopped. Also, the cause may be improperly selected detergent with a high foaming coefficient.